1853: The County Board established a road along the beach from Empire to Ten Mile
Creek. Sometime in the late 1850’s OR Early 1860’s, James Jordan had a cabin in
the Black Creek area, and put out trapping lines. In 1874, Nels Thompson and S.F.
Johnson explored the Ten Mile Country, locating here in the spring of 1875. The
first store was built across the lake just north of the city line on North Lake.
1880’s: the first known transportation system stage and freight line was founded.
The first school house opened in 1881; students had to provide their own transportation
(basically, a row-boat) until 1913 when school boats were provided, but had to walk
to school from the dock. Those who could reach the school by land walked.
1892: the first Post Office was opened at North Lake, and was discontinued in that
location in 1903. In 1900 Mail boat routes were started and continue today.
Early 1900’s: the town was originally named Lakeside when plotted on April 18th,
and the Lakeside Post Office opened.
1910: Open cars replaced horse drawn stages; freight was still hauled by teams of
1913: the first logging engine arrived in Lakeside, pulled by teams of horses on
short sections of rails. In the 1920’s, a railroad track along the west side of
what is now 8th street carried railroad cars loaded with logs from the Tugman area
to the Lakeside railroad depot and on to the Bay Area.
In 1919, ground was cleared for the new schoolhouse which is presently in use as
the Lakeside City Hall as the school was closed in 1984.
Commercial fishing vessels were brought to the lakes each fall, and netted thousands
of salmon each year.
1924: Lakeside was incorporated. A jail built soon after was destroyed by fire
a year or two later.
1930: the Oregon Coast Highway (now Hwy 101) opened.
In the 1930’s and ‘40’s, Lakeside was a known retreat for Hollywood’s rich and famous.
Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Charles Laughton, Sidney Greenstreet, opera singer Lilly
Pons, the Ink Spots as well as the Sons of the Pioneers are just a few of the names
that have appeared in various newsprint through the years as visitors to Lakeside.
1930: Millionaire movie producer Roy Currier and his partner, George Mitchell, accidentally
stumbled upon our beautiful lake and serene surroundings during their travels, and
began purchasing land. A stylish resort boasting 36 steam-heated cabins sprang
up with spring water piped in from the hills near town.
1941: Lakeside School lost its’ State accreditation due to the merger with North
Bend High School. In 1942, the last class of Seniors (2) graduated from Lakeside
1942/43: Lakeside residents voted to dis-incorporate the city, feeling it was no
longer practical to keep it a city as so many people left to seek employment in defense
In 1944/45, the Mill opened,
In 1959, the Lakeside Rural Fire District was formed.
In 1962, the Lakeside Water District was organized.
In 1973, the City of Lakeside was incorporated once again. Lakeside is currently
served by elected volunteers, a mayor and six council members who meet the 2nd Thursday
of every month at 7:00 p.m.
In 1986, the Lakeside Elementary school closed.
In 1987, Lakeside Public Library opened, moving to its’ present location in 1990.
The City of Lakeside is next to Tenmile Lake. Until 1874, all the land surrounding
the lakes belonged to the group currently known as the “Tribes of the Coos, Lower
Umpqua, and Siuslaw Indians”.